Monday, March 16, 2009

Dangers of Idling


A few days ago I went to the drive up window at the bank. While I waited for the teller to process my deposit I saw a sticker on their window which suggested that customers in their cars who would be waiting longer than 10 seconds, should turn their cars off rather than let it idle. Not only will they save on gas, they will be reducing emissions and taking an active role in preserving the air quality of Utah.
Vehicle exhaust is one of the leading sources of air pollution in Utah. Idling vehicles release higher concentrated exhaust than when in motion. Because passengers of idling vehicles are not moving, they are at higher exposure to the exhaust as it is able to enter the cabin. The nice thing about this problem is that it is 100% preventable. For more information, visit Clean Air Utah and Environment Defense Fund.

2 comments:

  1. That's neat that that sticker was there--public health in action! I love hearing little ways to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this simple way to help the cause. It's a very doable way to contribute.

    ReplyDelete